Wednesday, July 30, 2014

In pursuit of an appointment

This morning at work I kept checking my phone to make sure I didn't miss a call from the oncologist's office with the date and time of my first chemo appointment. By 10:00 I was getting irritated so I decided to be the squeaky wheel and call them. I've already plugged some names and numbers into my phone so I called the scheduler but didn't get an answer so I left a message. By 1:00 I hadn't heard back so I tried again and got her voicemail. I then called the the radiation oncologist's office. I asked for  the person who called after my diagnosis to tell me I was going to have a PET scan. I told her the medical oncologist said I was going to start chemo this week and it's Wednesday at 1:00 and I'm getting a little concerned this may not happen and asked if she could help me. I then apologized if I seemed pushy and she told me I have to be my own advocate and she would do the same thing if it were her. She said she'd try to find out what is going on and call me back by the end of the day. Fifteen minutes later I received a call from the scheduler at the medical oncologist's and I am to start chemo Monday, August 4 at 8:30. I wonder if I would have received a call if I hadn't asked the radiation oncologist's person for help. Very irritating. My chemo will last 3.5 hours and then I am to go get molded for my radiation mask because I will start daily radiation therapy on August 11 after my weekly chemo appointment. I was told to get something for anxiety from my family doctor if I get claustrophobic at all and take it twenty minutes before the molding. I've looked at pictures of the masks and I don't easily feel claustrophobic but I think having my face covered with one of those could change that! Bad thing is I'll have to have a ride home if I take a med for anxiety. I'll have to think about it for a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment